Old 09-17-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
Rickd
Still in 1st Gear

67 GTO id help needed

I have a 67 GTO that is supposed to be "numbers matching". How do I verify this? Do you verify with VIN#'s or date codes? The motor and transmission are what I need the most help with. Also, any advice on getting a rear bumber either redone or purchasing a new one.
Re: 67 GTO id help needed
Old 09-17-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
GTO_AL
NASA Experiment

'67 GTO ID??? hehehehe, now your talking....

The engine should be dated within 1 to 3 months prior, closer to one month prior if your car was built closer to the engine manufacturer which I believe was in the mid west. The engine date code is on the back top of the engine beside the distributor. The build date code for the car is on the cowl tag on the firewall beside the master cylinder.
However, the best way and most accurate way to confirm your engine being a numbers engine is by the PHS build sheet. Right in the center of the build sheet that you get from PHS is the engine production number typed in where it says "engine number". That number is on your engine right above (or below) the two letter code stamped on your engine block, passenger side on the front of the block, just below the head. Those 6 numbers should match the numbers typed on the build sheet. It wasn't until very late in 1967 that PMD started to stamp the VIN number on the engine block, however I've not seen ANY 1967 GTOs with the VIN stamped there and I've seen alot of late build cars.
Check out this web site for all your 1967 GTO numbers needs:
http://www.1967gto.com/home.html

and this site for your Pontiac Historic Services (PHS) documentation.
http://www.phs-online.com/

Some quick info.... to check

engine codes and tranny types

Manual tranny (3 or 4spd)
WT 335hp 400
WW 335hp 400 California
WS 360hp 400 HO
WV 360hp 400 HO California
XS 360hp RamAir
YR 360hp RamAir w a/c (funny thing A/C wasn't available with R/Air LOL

Auto tranny codes
XL 255hp 400 2bbl carb
XM 255hp 400 2bbl carb
YS 335hp 400
YZ 360hp 400 HO
XP 360hp 400 RamAir
YQ 360hp 400 RamAir w/AC (see note above LOL)

Tell us more about your car, what numbers, codes on the cowl tag, etc etc. Enquiring minds like to know LOL.

Hope this helps, if any more questions please feel free to ask

AL
Old 09-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
Rickd
Still in 1st Gear

I am doing a frame off on this car and have finally completed the frame. I have a rolling chassis now. Anyways I was just getting to the motor when I decided I should check the engine to ensure it is the right one (kind of late I know). I have ordered the documentation through PHS so I will check the engine numbers when I get the report. The dates on the motor are body are within a week of each other so I am pretty confident with what I've got. The codes are as follows:
Date 05B
67-24217
Trim 220
Body BF08342
Paint LL
VIN 242177Z123859
Engine code is YS
Any help or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-17-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
GTO_AL
NASA Experiment

RickD
Let's see..... things I bet you already know. Here's your cowl tag.

Build date: 05B = 2nd week of May 1967
67-24217 = 1967 - 2 (Pontiac) 42 (GTO) 17 (hardtop)
Trim 220 = Turquoise
Body BF08342 = Sequence # 8342nd car produced at BF (Fremont, CA)
Paint LL = 1st L bottom color, Mariner Turquoise Metalic, 2nd L = top color (same) If it were a two tone painted car it may have looked something like this Paint LC = Mariner Turquoise Metalic lower with Cameo Ivory painted top. If there were a number behind the first letter like this L2 then it would either be a vinyl top (2=black) or if it was a convertible then it would mean black convert top.
VIN number 242177Z123859
2 = Pontiac
42 = GTO
17 = Hardtop
7 = 1967
Z = Fremont, CA build plant
123859 = Sequence number
Engine code YS = 335 hp 400 engine for an automatic transmittion

A frame off restoration is always great for best results on restoreing your car. But alot of work for sure. This is a great place to ask questions too, there's alot of knowledgable people here that are usually willing to help. It makes it kinda hard though when the car is so far away unless you can describe what you're really needing.
Soon you'll be the one helping others from your experiences from restoring your car.
You're car sounds like it going to be nice, green with green interior, and that's just from all the green backs that you'll be throwing at it LOL. Just kidding, that's a nice color combination on your car. I like the Mariner Turquoise but I'd have to go with a custom tan leather interior but that's just me.
I've had '67 GTOs since 1981 when I first bought my plum mist 67 convertible. I've even had a '67 the same color as yours for a while back about 9 years ago. It had a 455 engine in it and ran great. Let me know if you need anything else.

Al